Volunteer Appeal following Hurricane Sandy
Dear Youth Workers and Advisors,
As you know, our region has been hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. We would like to send along the news of two opportunities that are looking for volunteers and donated goods. Not only would this be a great thing for our young people to be a part of to help out, it would allow them to be an active part of community service involved with a ministry of our parishes as well. Please see below for information about volunteer opportunities in both Brooklyn and Staten Island. If you can, please reach out and volunteer your time, talents or treasures. So many are in need at this time, please join in and do what you can.
Thank you, and may the good lord continue to guide and guard you and your families.
Please join Holy Trinity/St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in our efforts to help Staten Island. We will be collecting items at our church starting at 2:00 p.m. Today and after church tomorrow. Below is a list of the items we need:
- Clothing - especially warm clothing
- Winter coats
- Undergarments - Please only bring NEW, in the package.
- Socks - VERY IMPORTANT! Bring as many socks as you can find.
- Baby items - diapers, wipes, etc
- Non-perishable food items: Easy to open and eat.
- And ANYTHING else you can think of.
We cannot express enough the importance of this effort. Please take the time to gather these items and bring them to the church. If you want to volunteer to help sort and set up today, please be at the church at 1:30 p.m. 1641 Richmond Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10314
Parishioners of SS Constantine and Helen who live in the Rockaways are really struggling. Some suggestions have come from people living there. We will be coordinating with these families to offer our assistance as a church. Also, do not forget that they are expecting a Nor-Eastern this week.
- Many families need relocating. If you know of anyone that has an apartment please let me know
- Cooked food is being gobbled off the streets. If anyone can cook a tray of food and bring it to the church by Sunday, we will deliver after the Divine Liturgy. This will be done despite the Marathon
- Clothing is of necessity. Please bring to the church by Sunday
- If anyone is available to help clean, bring byour boots and glove, shovels, brooms (anything that can be used for cleaning) and car and meet at the church on Sunday. After the Divine Liturgy whoever is available we will meet at contact homes on the Rockaways and help distribute food, clothing and offer our time to people who are really broken hearted.
- Anyone with a big SUV, Pick –Up Truck, or cargo van, please let us know that you can volunteer
For more information please contact Fr. John or the church office.